Bridge closed again for safety checks

Wednesday, 20 May 2026 13:15

By MônFM Newsroom

The Menai Suspension Bridge was closed for more than two hours after it was crossed by another overweight vehicle.

Traffic Wales said safety inspections were carried out on Wednesday morning after being used by a vehicle exceeding the 7.5 tonne limit in place during maintenance works.

It's the third time in two months that the bridge has been forced to shut after restrictions were breached.

A spokesperson said: "Due to an overweight vehicle crossing the bridge the road must be closed to carry out an inspection of the bridge. We will reopen the bridge as soon as it is safe to do so."

"Apologies for the inconvenience but our priority is your safety. We wish to remind you that only vehicles under 7.5t are allowed to use Menai Bridge."

The bridge was reopened shortly before 11am but one lane remains closed between 10am and 6pm each day until Friday.

Last weekend, it was temporarily closed to traffic while work took place to secure communication cables linking Anglesey with Ireland.

Do you have a local news story to share? Email news@monfm.co.uk

Oes gennych chi stori newyddion lleol i'w rhannu? Ebostiwch news@monfm.co.uk

  • Gwrando Eto

    Cliciwch yma i wrando eto ar eich hoff rhaglen!

  • Listen Again

    Click here to listen again to your favourite show!

More from Local News

Nawr ar MônFM / Now on MônFM

  • Yvonne Gallienne

    2:00pm - 4:00pm

    Two hours of great music with Yvonne on MônFM

Wedi Chwarae / Previously Played

FM
monfm.co.uk
App
'Play MônFM'